CHE logo

Change of Major

Change of Major Requirements

In order to change your major to, or to double major with, Biochemical Engineering or Chemical Engineering, from a major in any College (including Engineering), you must:

  1. Be a registered student and have completed at least one quarter (minimum of 12 units) at UC Davis
  2. Have completed not more than 135 cumulative units (excluding AP units)
  3. Be in good academic standing and meet minimum progress requirements
  4. Have received a letter grade for all courses that satisfy Engineering degree requirements
  5. Have completed at least the following five courses: MAT 21A, B, and C; PHY 9A; and CHE 2A
  6. Have a GPA of 2.0 or better in all completed MAT, PHY, BIS, and CHE courses required for your intended major, and have received a C- or better in each of these courses
  7. Have no grade lower than a C- in any completed engineering course required for your intended major(s) taken at UC Davis
  8. Have a 2.0 UC GPA in completed engineering courses

Please submit a change of major form and an academic plan for the upcoming three quarters prior to making an appointment with an undergraduate program advisor.

To create an academic plan online:

  • Use the Online Advising Student Information System (required)
    • Go to and then click Forms & Petitions -> Submit a New Form -> Academic Plan
    • Enter draft plan for the next three quarters and click “Save as Draft.”

Please review the degree requirements for your intended major to find out what courses should be included in your plan, when courses are offered, and what prerequisites courses have: Biochemical Engineering or Chemical Engineering

The Change of Major Form is available through OASIS.