Who is the best contact in Safety Services to answer my question about X?

Where can I find Campus Policies that pertain to safety?

I was injured at work.  What do I do now?

  • In the event of an emergency, dial 911!
  • Work-related injuries or illnesses must be immediately reported to Worker’s Compensation using the Injury Reporting Procedure

I have a safety concern or hazard to report.  What do I do?

You have multiple options:

  • Use the UC Davis online reporting tool
  • Report it to the DSC
  • If you witness a safety hazard and can take action to correct it or prevent others from encountering the hazard, please do so immediately.

How do I obtain/choose/launder Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)?

  • Procurement of new PPE can be done through Vet Med Central Stores: http://www.vmcs.ucdavis.edu/ppe/
    • PPE can be reassigned or obtained through other means. However, it is important that PPE distribution is documented and that PPE obtained from other sources is appropriate for the task.
  • Here is a guide to help you select the most appropriate PPE
  • Lab coats can be laundered by dropping them off with the College of Engineering’s Receiving Dock at Bainer 1334.
    • The first time they are dropped, you will need to fill out and attach a tag with some information about the coat. This information will be linked to another bar code that will be affixed to the coat.
    • As of now, the College is covering the costs and coats are picked up every Tuesday. They should be returned the following week, but please keep track of drop-offs as coats occasionally go missing. If you don’t get yours back, the vendor can search for it and should provide a replacement if it cannot be found.
  • Here’s a much longer list of PPE FAQs: http://safetyservices.ucdavis.edu/faq/personal-protective-equipment-ppe-faqs

What is the Campus Process if I need to use a respirator or N95 Mask?

Obtaining and Fitting a Respirator

How do I dispose of waste?

How do I get rid of empty chemical containers/bottles and/or broken lab glass?

  • You must dispose of them through EH&S if the container held an Acutely or Extremely Hazardous Materials, as listed here.
  • The container must be completely empty and the label must be defaced.
    • These can be recycled or put into a lab glass box.
    • If the empty container is greater than 5 gallons, you MUST write the date it was emptied on the container.
  • All broken lab glass should be put into a lab glass box.
    • When the box is full, it should be sealed and marked as “Clean Lab Glass.” Custodial services should take it away if under 40 lbs.
  • More complete information is available here:

I’m having a building-related problem.  What do I do?

  • If it’s urgent, call the facilities work-order desk at 752-1655.  Select option #1 and report the problem to the dispatch operator.
  • If it’s not urgent, you can either place a work order by calling 752-1655, or you can consult with the Department Safety Coordinator to determine the best course of action.

I’m joining a research lab.  What training and documentation must I complete?

See above.

I just started working for the Department.  What safety training do I need?

  • For Department trainings, check with Bill Doering, the Department Safety Coordinator (DSC).
  • For special work functions, you may need additional training.

What Safety Documentation must my lab maintain?

  • Initial and annual refresher training for EVERY lab member covering:
    1. Department IIPP
    2. Department EAP
    3. Emergency & Evacuation training
    4. Chemical spill training
    5. Hazardous Waste Management
    6. Any applicableSOPs that have been revised
    7. The current UC Davis Lab Safety Manual, which also contains the Campus Chemical Hygiene Plan, must be available to all lab members
    8. A site-specific Laboratory Safety Plan (LSP), which is likely to apply to many research labs
  • All campus-required SOPs must be implemented and trained upon if they apply in your lab
  • The Chemical Inventory must be updated
    1. Safety Data Sheets (SDS) must exist for all hazardous materials in your lab and on your inventory
  • LHAT review, or training if hazards have changed

Do you have a complete list of the safety training courses offered by UC Davis?

See http://safetyservices.ucdavis.edu/training.

Refresher training is required annually for Departmental Safety Training (covering the Department’s Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and Emergency Action Plan), conducted by Bill Doering; Hazard Communication Training (required only for faculty, students and staff who DO NOT work in experimental labs but will be handling, using, or storing hazardous materials); and each lab’s chemical spill controlhazardous waste management, and emergency procedures.

Refresher training is required every three years for the UC Laboratory Safety Fundamentals Course.

What do I need to know about Office Ergonomics?

Does my space need to take part in the Shop Safety Program?

Refer to the UC Davis Shop Safety Manual to determine if you have equipment that falls under the Shop Safety Program. If so, you must implement an appropriate Shop Safety Plan.