Key Application Information for Prospective Students
Applying to any graduate program requires adequate planning and preparation to ensure that your application is successful. Our timeline for applying includes the recommended timing and steps to take when planning your application. Since many of our applicants and current students come from non-materials science and engineering backgrounds, we have also outlined recommended coursework to be completed prior to applying to our program.
Applying Without a Chemical Engineering Background
Depending on the degree track, students without a chemical engineering background are welcome to apply to our program. Reviewers will be looking for satisfactory completion of a full year of physics, chemistry and engineering-level math, including linear algebra and differential equations. The equivalent UC Davis courses are:
Below is our recommended, but not required, timeline for applying to our program. We strongly encourage all applicants to take standardized tests by October to ensure a timely submission of scores, as we are not able to make an admissions decision until all application materials have been received.
- Research potential faculty mentors.
- Draft your personal statement and personal history and diversity statements.
- Request letters of recommendation.
- Prepare for the GRE exam and/or TOEFL (or IELTS) exam.
- Take the GRE and send official scores to UC Davis (Code: 4834).
- Begin filling out the application online.
- Finalize personal statement and personal history and diversity statements.
- Submit application.
- Upload transcripts to system.
- Periodically check application status via the online system to ensure that test scores and letters of recommendation have been received.
- File a FAFSA form (if applicable).
- Begin receiving notification of admissions decision.